Thursday, January 8, 2009

Different shades of chocolate


Yesterday I was giving my three adopted triplet boys a bath when Michael asked me, "Daddy, why is your skin white and mine is brown?"  I replied, "Well, your birth Mom is white and your birth Dad is Mexican, so your half white and half Mexican."  Michael looked at me inquisitively and then looked down at his body and asked, "Which part is white, and which part is Mexican?"  While waiting for an answer to his question he and his two brothers starting looking at each other trying to find the two different parts, white and brown....

Kevin then said to me, "Dad, I've never been to Mexico before, how am I part Mexican?" Controlling my laughter as best as I could I thought I would use chocolate as a way to describe the differences in our skin color.  I explained that there are different shades of chocolate....white, brown, and dark brown....and that all forms of chocolate are different...but all are great.  I told them that sometimes different shades of chocolate mixes with others to create new flavors...and the result is something beautiful....like my three boys.

My boys then started talking about all the different variations of chocolate mixtures that could be created and how they would taste....if only we as a society could be as pure and innocent as little children like my three boys....we would remove our filters that build up over the years and see life through a crystal clear lens....what a great thought..

8 comments:

Jacob Bergmeier said...

What a great post to wake up to! It seriously made my morning. I hope you and your family have a great day!

Newton said...

Brilliant!

Leslie Roark Photography said...

This was awesome. It melted my heart. I hope that one day when Kaydence starts asking questions I'm not quite sure how to answer.. that I can come up with answers like that!

Aliya said...

Absolutely adorable! My fave was the "looking for which part is white & which part is mexican" -- love it! :)

Beverly Southerland said...

Awesome answer that GOD could only provide!! You and your family are very special!!
God loves you and so do I!!
NC MOM
Beverly

Kricia Morris Photography said...

Beautiful post as always. I really respect for not only sharing your photographer's side, but the personal side as well. And that personal side obviously includes being an amazing dad! Thank you for sharing :)

Memories by Micha said...

Oh wow what a great way to explain it! They are just precious and are so lucky to have an amazing mom and dad!

tinasmithphotography said...

I just wanted to say that I have never heard anyone explain different races in such a simple and inspiring way. This story really moved me and thank you so much for sharing. By the way your photography is truly amazing and I hope that one day I may come close to being half as good as you are. Thank you for sharing so much of your life with us "strangers" :o)
God Bless,
Tina