Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Night on Hana Highway

A night on the Hana Highway was an amazing thing....and true. Back in Maui I took a trip down the famous Hana Highway...or the "Road to Hana." A little ways back there was an earthquake on the island that cut the road off at the end and made it impossible to circle the island. I was told that the road was fixed so I took off on the road. After driving four hours down the road I came to where the road stopped....due to the earthquake....the road was still closed! If I had been able to continue down the road I would have been back to my hotel in only 1 hour....

By this time it was about 10pm and I was looking at a four hour trip back the way I came. With no alternatives (there are no hotels) I turned around and headed back. One of the reasons the road is so long is because of how windy and narrow it is...so driving it when tired isn't recommended. I started driving and had to pull over everytime I was tired. I ended up sleeping on the side of the road numerous times. Talk about a mind trip.....try waking up in the middle of paradise, at night, in a rental car.....you think you're still dreaming after you woken up. I finally made it back to the hotel by early morning. It was a night I will never forget....by the way...all the shots below are taken handheld without any type of tripod or monopod.....I LOVE MY D3!!!








3 comments:

Californian Peach said...

Oh.My.Gosh. Those are absolutely and positively the most amazing shots I have ever seen. Seriously, they look like you painted them on canvas. Doesn't even seem real. Amazing Work Jason.
-Kara

Rebecca Tyler said...

I've done the road to Hana in the past...not really a fun experience but an experience nonetheless. Kudos to you for braving it through the night time. Glad to see you remained safe. And, these photos are stunning!! Absolutely gorgeous!

Jinksee said...

The first one took my breath away! Ahh! Amazing!! :D